Skip to content

Getting a full-size CD/DVD label out of CD-LabelPrint

February 3, 2010

My Canon Pixma iP4500 can print directly onto printable CD/DVDs, and came bundled with CD-LabelPrint for me to setup my CD labels. Unfortunately, there’s a bug in CD-LabelPrint that doesn’t allow you print right up to the inner circle of the CD/DVD. Fortunately, there’s filthy hack that allows you to print over the entire surface of the disc after all…

CD-LabelPrint isn’t particularly sophisticated software; it just draws two circles (an inner and an outer) on top of your image of choice, showing you which bits of your image will be printed onto the disc. The inner and outer circles can be adjusted to fit your particular printable media, but you can only shrink the diameter of the inner circle down to 33mm (even though the help says the minimum is 17mm).

Matt’s Method

Matt found a way to tweak the inner circle without hacking the registry. Unlike my original hack (below) I haven’t actually tried it; if you do, post a comment!

My Original Hack

It turns out that you can hack a registry key to make the inner circle smaller. Just:

1. Start > Run > type regedit and click OK
  2. Use the tree on the left to find: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > MediaNavigation > CDLabelPrint > 1.0 > Settings > SizeAdjust > .Standard CD (12cm)
  3. Double-click on Inner and change the value…

…Change the value to what? The number is 10 * the number of mm to expand the inner circle’s diameter by. I wanted a 20mm inner circle, which is 23mm smaller than the 43mm circle CD-LabelPrint uses by default, so mine’s set to -230 (note the minus sign). You might want to measure the inner circle of your printable media and adjust accordingly.

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. February 4, 2010 9:36 am

Man that seems insane!

I just had a quick scan down the thread (didn’t read it all) and there was also talk of creating a custom paper type which allows you to get the inner diameter down to 17mm. No idea if it’s applicable to your version and printer…

2. February 4, 2010 9:39 am

Gah! What happened to the rich comment editor and preview option. This page says “You can use basic XHTML in your comments.” but it doesn’t say what ‘s included and when I just tried to insert some images it silently scraped them out.

Here’s another attempt with links instead…

3. Mitch permalink
    July 11, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks very much, no hack required. Proper job !!

4. December 19, 2012 5:39 am

Good work done .I also go with Mitch that there is no need of hack ,can be solved directly.
    Further,
    120 mm and 18 mm.

5. Lou permalink
    April 12, 2013 11:03 am

Thank you! Works a treat. Just measure correctly!

6. George permalink
    August 3, 2013 1:56 pm

Thank you both for your help, I used Matt’s method and it worked perfectly!

7. Bogdan permalink
    August 26, 2013 5:22 am

Thank you, man! You saved me! 🙂

8. Bert permalink
    August 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks a bundle! Your way works fine! Years ago I was told how to hack it. Now I had to reload my software and forgot how to change inner circle. You saved me a lot of distress!

9. tony permalink
    August 31, 2014 2:56 am

hi how do I adjust the print to allow foe reduced inner

10. September 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Tony,

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the question.